Home>Community News>Killeagh GAA Newsletter 11th August 2014
Community News

Killeagh GAA Newsletter 11th August 2014

Killeagh GAA NEWSLETTER FOR W/C August 11th 2014.

Club Lotto Results;

Details for our latest Lotto draw are as follows:

Numbers drawn on Tuesday August 5th were 1, 10, 15 and 30.

There was no winner of this week’s jackpot and the jackpot for our next draw will be €11000.

Lucky dip winners were E&C Fogarty, Ger Ahern, Aoife Parsons and Carmel Murphy.

Thanks to everyone who supports our weekly lotto draw.​ Lotto draw takes place in clubhouse every Tuesday night.

Club Shop;

The Club shop is open on Saturday mornings from 10.30am to 11.30am. Plan a visit to your club shop where you can choose from a wide selection of sports accessories in your club colours. Replica jerseys (all sizes), shorts, training clothing, etc. are available for all ages Please support your club by purchasing from the club shop.

Fixtures / Results:

Cork SHC: Killeagh versus Courcey Rovers, Relegation Final,  August 23rd, Further details TBC

East Cork Jun ‘B’ HC: Killeagh 1-07 Cloyne 3-17 played in Ballinacurra on Fri Aug 8th at 7.00pm

Red FM Cork SHL: Killeagh 2-14 Douglas 1-14

Golf Society:

Killeagh GAA Golf Society have their next outing at Castlemartyr Golf Resort on Thursday August 14th. Tee time and further datails available from Ray Rochford on 0872330054.

Juvenile News:


Minor Hurling C’ship: Douglas 2-11 Killeagh-Ita’s 4-12 played in CIT on Wednesday August 6th at 8pm

U16 Hurling C’ship Semi-Final; St Finbarrs 0-09 Killeagh-Ita’s 4-10 on Fri Aug 9th in Cobh

U13 Hurling League: Killeagh-Ita’s 6-05 St. Colman’s 0-09 played in Cloyne Mon Aug 4th

U14 Hurling C’ship Killeagh-Ita’s v Cloughduv in Killeagh on Mon Aug 11th at 7pm

Minor Hurling


Our minor hurlers travelled to the CIT complex on Wednesday evening last to play a very tricky tie against Douglas in the Rebel Óg Premier 1 Minor Hurling quarter-final. There was a very large crowd in attendance and they were served up an extremely entertaining encounter by both teams. Killeagh-Ita’s were first to score although it did take more than five minutes as both teams were a little edgy and fearful of each other. Once they scored, a point from play by Eoghan Keniry, Killeagh-Ita’s found their rhythm and began to impress their game-plan on their opponents. Throughout the remaining twenty minutes of the half they progressively inflicted their fire-power on a dismayed Douglas team. They completely steamrolled and outplayed the opposition and at half-time they had a lead of ten points with the score Douglas 0-05 to Killeagh-Ita’s 3-06. While each and every Killeagh-Ita’s player gave their very best, it was Gary Leahy who stood out with a first-half personal score of 3-01. After the break the tide completely changed. Douglas made a few positional changes and their tactics were beginning to reap benefit. Killeagh-Ita’s seemed to be stuck to the ground as the Douglas players played out of their skins to restore their pride and get them back into contention in this game. By the end of the third quarter, Douglas had notched up 2-05 to Killeagh-Ita’s 0-01. With the scores now level, Douglas thought they could go on to win this match. They were made to think again as initially Eoghan Keniry restored the Killeagh-Ita’s lead by a point and this was followed by another superb goal from Gary Leahy for his and Killeagh-Ita’s fourth goal of the game. This seemed to knock the confidence of a valiant Douglas team and try as they might they just could not match the Killeagh-Ita’s determination to win. The final score of the game, 2-11 to 4-12 gives an indication as to the intensity of the game. After the initial shaky start, Killeagh-Ita’s took control in every area of the pitch. Each player gave their very best and while the back line continuously thwarted the Douglas forwards and kept their scoring chances to a minimum, their forward line constantly reaped reward with every attack. For the opening fifteen minutes of the second half they were subdued by a reorganised and revitalised Douglas team. It was a stern test for Killeagh-Ita’s and one which they passed with flying colours.  The team selectors showed great faith in their players and were confident of the team’s overall ability to see out this game. The players never panicked; they kept their heads up and continued to play the same way as they did in the first half. Unfortunately for Douglas, they met a group of players who were in top form for this encounter. Killeagh-Ita’s were without a few key players but the replacements stepped up to the plate and played very well. As the Killeagh-Ita’s players and supporters went home happiest, both sets of players should be proud to know that they served up a thriller of a match for the large crowd.

Team: C Walsh, J O’Rourke, B McCarthy, P Delaney, D Cahill, D O’Brien, K Murphy, B Delaney, P Walsh, E Keniry, D Landers, S Smiddy, A Leahy, G Leahy, K Treacy.

Subs Used: C Deane, D Smiddy.

Fé 13 Iomáint St. Colman’s 0-5, Killeagh-Ita’s 6-9

This game, played last Monday in Cloyne’s new pitch, was not so much a game of two halves but of one quarter and three quarters. St. Colman’s dominated the first quarter and raced into a three point lead by the 10th minute, and could have been even further ahead had they taken their chances. Full-back Cian McDonald, flanked by Olan Coleman and George Sinclair, all had to be vigilant to limit the scoring damage. Two astute changes by our management team of Mike, Richie and Andy turned the game. The swapping of wing backs Paul and Richie helped both and curbed the influence of the St. Colman’s wing men, while the change of Ben O’Connor to midfield and Dara Motherway to centre forward also aided their respective performances. Dara struck over our first point in the 12th minute and two quick goals by dangerous full-forward Daniel Lucey seemed to knock the proverbial stuffing out of our opposition, who had to make changes of their own to counteract Daniel’s threat. A third goal from Darragh O’Connor, following excellent teamwork, gave us a 3-3 to 0-5 lead at half time.

The second half saw Ciaran Leahy start at corner forward and he wasted no time in making his mark, scoring 1-1 in the first five minutes. A third goal from Daniel and another from Ben O’Connor added to our green flag count, although we probably should have scored more points than we did, although Olan Broderick was accurate both from play and from frees. Despite our dominance, the St. Colman’s goalkeeper had a fantastic game and pulled off some excellent saves and clearances. Unfortunately for St. Colman’s they were unable to add to their half-time score which gave us a comfortable win. This win should see our boys qualify for a league final, as it puts us second in the table behind Aghabullogue. Finally, thank you to St. Colman’s for providing a referee when the appointed referee failed to appear.

Team: Robbie Treacy, Olan Coleman, Cian McDonald, George Sinclair, Paul Delaney, Ryan McCarthy, Richie Landers, Cathal Fitzgibbon, Dara Motherway (0-1), Owen Cosgrove, Ben O’Connor (1-0), Olan Broderick (0-5, 0-2f), Oisin McCarthy, Daniel Lucey (3-0), Darragh O’Connor (1-1). Subs: Ciaran Leahy (1-2), Karl O’Toole, Brian Murphy.

Fé 16 Iomáint Rebel Óg Premier 2 Championship Semi-Final Killeagh-Ita’s 4-10, St. Finbarr’s 0-9

Our Under 16 hurlers qualified for the Premier 2 County Final against Eire Óg by virtue of their win over St. Finbarr’s on Friday night last in Cobh. The damage was done in the first half when Killeagh-Ita’s played with the strong wind. Killian Treacy was exceptional at full-forward and his goal after 9 minutes was a real team effort, with Shane Kearney and Andrew Walsh playing excellent passes to give Killian his opportunity. Keane Budds was also a threat in the corner, while Andrew and Shane added goals of their own in the final third of the first half. This left us 3-7 to 0-4 ahead at half time, with a mountain to climb for the Barrs. The second half was a strange affair, with no score for the first 12 minutes and an Eoin Fitzgibbon goal at that stage finishing off the game as a contest. The Barrs continued to battle gamely and scored some lovely points in the last ten minutes, but it was too little, too late, as Kevin Murphy, Jamie Landers and Christy Coughlan led the charge from defence for our boys, while Cathal Deane and Emmet Barron worked tirelessly at midfield. Only sixty minutes left now, but Eire Óg will provide a stiff test. Here’s hoping….

Team: Aaron Walsh, Jamie Landers, Jack O’Rourke, Luke Fogarty, Fergal Smiddy, Kevin Murphy (0-1, ‘65), Christy Coughlan, Cathal Deane, Emmet Barron, Eoin Fitzgibbon (1-0), Andrew Leahy (1-0), Shane Kearney (1-1), Keane Budds (0-2), Killian Treacy (1-6, 0-2f), David Ogbebor. Subs: Sean Walsh, Daniel Hickey, Dylan Hogan, Padraig Leahy.

Croke Park Tours

As part of the Bord Gáis Energy Legends Tour Series, former Hurler of the Year Brian Corcoran will take fans on a unique tour of Croke Park on Saturday 16th August – the eve of the Cork-Tipperary GAA Hurling All-Ireland semi-final. This is a must for all Cork hurling fans – a chance to hear first-hand what it’s like to take to the field at Croke Park on the biggest days in the hurling calendar.

Bord Gáis Energy Legends Tour with Brian Corcoran – 2pm on Saturday 16th August.

Early booking is advised as places are limited – find out more and book tickets https://www.crokepark.ie/gaa-museum/events/bord-gais-energy-legends-tour-with-brian-corcoran



With all that’s going on, Twitter is one way of keeping in touch, so check out @killeaghitas on www.twitter.com. It’s the place to find out all your Killeagh-Ita’s news and much more besides